|January 1986: Talking Heads|
|Church & State II|
Cerebus lands in the magical dimension from the "Magiking" short story. The wizard from that story and Henrot have a discussion. Thrunk demands that a gold throne be built for him. Astoria is released from prison, she and Lord Julius talk over old times. Another false Tarim shows up, this one being an amalgam of the Woman Thing (Ethel), Sump Thing (Fred), and the Artist-chap. Cerebus' snout grows long again, and then he's swallowed up by the strange light yet again.
- Archie (only appearance)
- Astoria (last seen in issue 67; next appearance in issue 87)
- Big Round Glowing White Strange Thing (last seen in issue 81; next appearance in issue 90)
- Cerebus (last seen in issue 81; next appearance in issue 83)
- Fred, Ethel and the Little Chap (last seen as Sump & Woman Thing in issue 25; last seen as The Artist in issue 37; next appearance in issue 105)
- Lord Julius (last seen in issue 80; next appearance in issue 90)
- Henrot (last seen in issue 46; next appearance in issue 300)
- Thrunk (last seen in issue 80; next appearance in issue 87)
- Unnamed Magician (last seen in Magiking; final appearance)
Back of isssue 82
"Ah, Gainsville, Florida. Home of the Gator Bowl, Tom Petty, WRUF 104, and not much else. We brought a couple of drawing boards New Years Eve and I began drawing page one January 1, and this is the last thing I have to do in [this issue, January 14. Tomorrow I have a day off and then I jump back in on #83. Gerhards in room 1107 (I'm in 1108) working on pages 15 and 16."
- p. 18: Cerebus sneezes and this time it not only clears up his cold, but it elongates his snout. Cerebus had previously sneezed fire in issue 69.
- p. 3: Unnamed Magician: "I have more humility in my little finger than you have in your whole body!!"