|July 1982: Campaign|
|Writer & Artist||Dave Sim|
Astoria leads Cerebus on an election campaign through several areas of Iest. Accompanying them are Moon Roach and the McGrew brothers, acting as body guards (it's the one thing they are good at - maybe a little too good.) Astoria set the conditions of support for most of the areas, the local Cirinist Abbess sets her own conditions. We also find out Lord Julius is running a goat against Cerebus.
In the back of each issue there is a feature called "A Unique Story." Dave and Deni print short stories, unrelated to Cerebus, from other artists. In this issue Dave did a short story of his own, called "Goat." It's an illustrated transcript of Lord Julius and his goats' visit to the Cirinist Abbess. This "Unique Story" has appeared in the original issue 40, all printing of the phonebook collection of High Society, but not in the Cerebus Biweekly: High Society #15 reprint of issue 40.
- Astoria (last seen in issue 39; next appearance in issue 41)
- Bran Mac Mufin (last seen in issue 37; next appearance in issue 41)
- Cerebus (last seen in issue 39; next appearance in issue 41)
- Lord Julius (last seen in issue 39; next appearance in issue 43)
- McGrew Brothers (last seen in issue 39; next appearance in issue 41)
- The Moon Roach (last seen in issue 39; next appearance in issue 41)
- Tom, kid who throws mud on Cerebus' face (only appearance)
If Dave has something to say on the issue, add it here
- This issue starts a narrative feature over the next few issues, quoting pieces from "The True History of the 1413 Election", written by Suenteus Po. This is a different Suenteus than the one introduced in Mind Games.
- Apparently, between last issue and this one, the McGrew Brothers have been drafted as bodyguards, while Bran is now acting in some sort of secretarial role.
- Everyone in the Docks area appears to speak with a New York accent, while Lower Iest appears to have a lower-class London accent.
- "Move your stupid foot, Artemis" Presumably, he's trying to play "footsie" with Astoria.
- "grassy knoll!!" A reference to the assassination of American President John F. Kennedy. Although the official report on his death claims a single gunman, firing from the upper story of a nearby building, many observers on the scene at the time claim to have seen or heard evidence of a gunman on "the grassy knoll" nearby.
- p7: Bran talks to Cerebus of conquest: "Upper Felda is preparing for a major offensive in the spring. . .Lower Felda intends to have it's (sic) troops on the border before the first snow. . .if you were to invade at mid-winter; press east as far as Beduin. . .Aided by the southern city-states, you strike into the Sepran Empire. QUICKLY. The empire is losing the Blood Wars. . ."
- p15: "Cere... uh *I*" Cerebus is attempting to lose his third-person speaking habits, as they are associated with the barbarians in the north.
- Cerebus Live II A reading of the unique story "Goat" with Dave Sim as Lord Julius and Margaret Liss as The Abbess.